In an age-friendly community, policies, programs, services and environments support and enable people to age actively.
As all communities are unique they may take different approaches to achieving age-friendliness. However, all age-friendly communities share some common values.
An age-friendly community:
- Recognizes the wide range of capacities and resources among older people
- Anticipates and responds flexibly to aging-related needs and preferences
- Respects decisions and lifestyle choice of older adults
- Supports the older adults who are most vulnerable
- Promotes the participation of older adults and encourage their contributions to all aspects of community life.
The AFC Planning Outreach Initiative offers assistance to Ontario communities interested in adopting age-friendly planning principles. This project includes the development of partnerships, web resources, and the creation of a network for knowledge exchange across Ontario.
The information on this site is divided into the following sections.